Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Life or Lord?

Photo by gustaffo89

Recently on Facebook, a relative posted the following in her status box:

Okay, Life… I give up. Do whatever the ?#@*&%! you want with me.
I guess she was having a bad day. I probably didn't help. I commented that, if she substituted “Life” with “Lord” and eliminated the “?#@*&%!” then she had nailed it.

It occurred to me how we as Christians can fall into this type of thinking…

We act as if Life and Lord are the same thing, interpreting everything that happens to us in life as God’s will.

But God is Love, not Life. God is separate from his creation. The idea that God and his creation (i.e., Life, Nature) are the same is not Christianity, but Pantheism.

You see, Pantheists do not believe in a creator God. They believe that God and Nature are one, that all living things contain a divine spark within them. But the Bible teaches that God created the world and that the world is fallen. The Bible calls Satan “the god of this age,” and says that “the whole world is under the control of the evil one.” So why do we assume that whatever Life throws at us must somehow be God's will?

No comments:

Post a Comment