Tuesday, March 24, 2009

From Hearing to Believing, Part 4

I’ve been talking about how, in order to overcome fear and worry regarding the economy, I needed to hear something other than the news media I’d been listening to and begin hearing and believing what God’s word says about recession, the economy, and my financial security.

The most oft-quoted verse on that topic is Philippians 4:19: “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” But when I read that, I begin to think, “What exactly are my needs and what are my wants?” I certainly don’t need a house the size I’m living in. I guess I really don’t need my truck – I could certainly take the bus. What about my iPod? Do I really need to be able to download and listen to sermons on it? The list goes on…

But is that what God’s about, wanting to reduce me to the barest necessities? Some might say ‘yes’ – to teach us to depend more on him. So if I lose my job, my house, my car and am reduced “the bear necessities” (everybody sing now!), then it’s somehow God’s will, is that it? Is it somehow more spiritual to have next-to-nothing, live paycheck-to-paycheck, and depending on God to spoon-feed us our next meal when we can’t provide it for ourselves? Now, that may certainly be the condition many of us are in, and there’s nothing wrong with relying on God’s provision in those circumstances. But is that how he wants us to live? Shouldn’t I believe that he wants to bring me up and out of that situation, rather than leave me down-and-out? Or is that too much like the “prosperity gospel”?

Suppose I’m doing okay, or more-than-okay? Am I allowed to expect more? Or is there a certain limit I’m confined to? Is it okay to want to make $60, $70, or even $100k a year? I have two boys I’d like to send to college and retirement to think about, and I’m not sure how any of that will happen for any less money per year. Am I wrong to even want those things? After all, the average poor person in India lives in squalor; whereas a poor person here in the U.S. has a home, two cars and cable T.V. So no matter how much I lack, I’m really rich comparatively, so I suppose I should just suck it up and stop complaining.


“… I am not talking as the Lord would, but as a fool.” - 2 Cor 11:17

No comments:

Post a Comment